
While living in the Tongan Islands, I made it a goal to always talk to old Tongan guys. #1 - they always had great stories about fishing and sailing to share. #2 - It helped me learn the language so much better because I would write down new words that I hadn't heard before. Words that most missionaries don't even care about learning but I found them important, as I wanted to be more than just another missionary, I wanted to be Tongan. And the last thing, but most important; the life lessons and examples that they would teach to me and that I could use throughout the rest of my life.
I was often told by the wise elderly natives about "Tongan Gold". Usually when someone tells you something often, it's pretty important and you should learn it and take it to heart.

So what is Tongan Gold? Well, it's not some buried treasure at the bottom of the sea, left by maritime pirates and explorers that used to frequent the south pacific -- it's something much simpler, something that is given by you personally to someone else, something that's not physical, and not even gold. It's the simple gift of 'THANK YOU".
Sometimes we forget how important the Thank You is and how much it can mean to people. Tongans give thanks always from the minute they wake up and say their prayers, to when they are walking down the street and see a neighbor sweeping up their yard. They will shout out, "Malo e tafi!", that means thanks for sweeping. Even the Tongan 'hello' has the word 'thanks' in it. "Malo e lelei" means thanks for the good. The good that is life -- this life, that we share with everyone here on earth. It was amazing to me to see how much people give thanks to one another down in Tonga and I have strived to be the best I can at thanking people whenever I can.
So next time when someone does something for us, take notice and give thanks no matter how small the task was. Even if you see someone doing something that is for someone else, or doing a chore -- tell them thanks! It will go a long ways to that person, and will let them know that you care.
I want to thank every Tongan that I ever met on my mission and the great life lessons and examples that they taught me. Gold is a very valuable rock and can be exchanged for a lot of money or can increase the value of fine jewelry, but the value of receiving a warm thank you from someone is priceless and will lift your spirit more than any precious metal will ever do.
'Ofa atu,
Brandon








4 comments:
Nice post Brandon, thank you for posting it! I would like to thank you for spraying for ants on my back patio! & would like to thank Robyn again, for all of her help she gave me with the wedding flowers! : ) Tongans ROCK!!!
Nice post Brabby! Thats a cool story about the Tongan's teaching you lessons! one day you will need to take me there :)
Thanks for being a great brother!
Nice post!!!
THANK YOU:)
Post a Comment